Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pre-What?

So. Let's review. Spring, Summer (as in S/S), Fall and Winter (as in F/W), right? Hmm. Actually, it's more like S/S, Pre-Fall, F/W, Resort (comes out around December/January - theoretically, for those who are going somewhere sunny).

I've been trying to build the perfect, perfect pre-fall post for you over the weekend... but then I got completely side-tracked by Monday with the update of the pre-fall shows. Oh, my dear, dear Oscar de la Renta, you have captured my heart.

(Just remember, pre-fall comes out between summer and fall... filling in the odd gap during production periods.) It looks like we're pretty much sticking to old trends, revisiting them with nostalgic fervor. There's still a lot of men's wear love, trousers, earthy-jeweled tones, over-sized jackets... and a mix of different things from different designers. We'll visit other collections later this week but let's focus on this darling pre-fall collection. *Swoon.


Photo Courtesy: Style.com

"You have to make a woman fall in love with your clothes." - Oscar de la Renta on how to get people to buy luxury goods during the recession

(I'm in love.)

This collection is so, so lovely, it's driving me crazy. I've been pretty much thinking about this pre-fall collection since I first laid my eyes on it. Oh. My. Perfect peg-leg trousers, bright tweeds, coats & jackets (admittedly, everyone's favourite part of fall, right?).

The coat with the embellishments in the second set of pictures, in the middle, is gorgeous. I have a penchant for detailed cardigans. I think it has a lot to do with it's grandma-ish style and it feels sort of vintage*... I mean, c'mon, there's a lot of good things going on for beaded and/or appliqued sweater wear. Somehow, Mr. de la Renta, has combined 2 of my favourite things and made it into one (grandma styling + details = perfection).

By "pre-fall," that coat will be hanging in my closet.
By fall, that coat will be hanging on my shoulders. Or. However you'd describe someone wearing a coat.

*I'm not a big fan of treasure hunting at local thrift stores so most vintage-looking thing I own is either: faux-vintage or stolen from my grandmother's closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment